Austria will set minimum ticket prices

stoner

Utente Registrato
23 Luglio 2008

Austria’s new flight taxes & minimum ticket prices

The government of Austria is in the process of providing financial aid to Austrian Airlines. In exchange for the aid, the government is looking for some guarantees from the airline, including Vienna continuing to be a key hub for the Lufthansa Group, and Austrian Airlines reducing emissions.

Beyond that, Austria is also introducing higher taxes on flights, and even setting minimum ticket prices… and that may actually be good for Austrian Airlines?

Austria adds 30EUR tax for short haul flights

The Austrian government will add a ticket tax of 30EUR (~34USD) for flights of under 350km (~217 miles). This is being done to encourage people to use other methods of transportation rather than flying.

This comes as CO2 emissions within Austria are supposed to be cut in half by 2030, and Austrian Airlines will be encouraged to shift passenger traffic to railways for situations where travel time would be less than three hours.

tiefpeck

Utente Registrato
27 Agosto 2011
Back to Fischamend
Diciamo la verità: i voli sotto i 350 km sono feederaggi dall'Austria fatti con i DASH-8 che OS aveva in programma di dismettere comunque. L'effetto ambientalista della tassa sarà di fare i feederaggi su FRA e MUC, se non oltre. Ed è comunque possibile arrivare a VIE in treno, con stazione ferroviaria sotto quella aeroportuale.

Utente Registrato
26 Aprile 2012
Diciamo la verità: i voli sotto i 350 km sono feederaggi dall'Austria fatti con i DASH-8 che OS aveva in programma di dismettere comunque. L'effetto ambientalista della tassa sarà di fare i feederaggi su FRA e MUC, se non oltre. Ed è comunque possibile arrivare a VIE in treno, con stazione ferroviaria sotto quella aeroportuale.
Con tutti i distinguo orografici, non dovrebbe essere impossibile eliminare i voli <350km in un mondo futuro. Chiaro, ci sono situazioni "difficili" in cui l'aeroporto si trova nella direzione opposta rispetto alla linea AV (vedi FCO), o situazioni assolutamente imbecilli quali HS2, che passera' per Old Oak Common (da cui si vede LHR!) ma non a LHR.

Reactions: londonfog

leerit

Utente Registrato
3 Settembre 2019
Austria is set to introduce an ‘anti-ticket dumping’ regulation. The new rules would mean that flight tickets can’t be sold for less than the cost to an airline. This would rule out the cheapest low-cost fares that rely on ancillary revenue to break even.

Wizz Air, Ryanair, Easyjet

The new Austrian Government policy will hit low-cost carriers.
Low-cost carriers have become a staple of the aviation industry, removing social barriers to flying by bringing down costs. In the past 20 years, LCCs such as Ryanair, easyJet, and Wizz Air have boomed in the European Union. However, things are about to change in Austria, stifling the competitive edge of such airlines.

No ticket ‘dumping’

Dumping is an industry term used to describe selling something for less than its cost to manufacture or, in the case of airlines, to provide. According to Austrian Aviation as part of the rescue package for its airline, Austria will ban the practice of selling flight tickets for less than their cost.

How Is Ryanair Able To Sell Such Cheap Fares?

As a result of the new regulations, Austria will become the first country in Europe to target ticket dumping specifically. Austrian Aviation also mentions that the rules will not allow ticket prices below €40. However, it wasn’t immediately clear if this rule will apply to all airlines, or just Austrian as part of its bailout package.
Austrian Airlines, Resume Operations, Mid June
The rules
What does this mean for low-cost carriers?
The new rules would likely stifle low-cost flights in Austria, if not kill them altogether. In May, Ryanair announced that it would close its Vienna Lauda base on May 29th. Ryanair was expected to replace Lauda with its own brand in Vienna.

Taking a look at flight prices, on select dates in August, Ryanair flights from Stansted to Vienna (currently operated by Lauda) are available for as little as £16.99 ($21.52). These fares would not be able to continue under the new rules. Ryanair has to pay £13 ($16.47) in tax per passenger leaving the United Kingdom. This leaves just £3.99 ($5.05) left to pay for the crew, fuel, airport fees, and any other taxes that may be charged.
Lauda leaving vienna
Last month
Of course, a lot of maths goes into producing Ryanair’s fares, and the airline is not making a loss despite its lower than cost fares. The airline makes up for the deficit with ancillary revenue, such as reserved seating, which costs the airline nothing to implement.
Quite clearly in the above case, however, Ryanair would not be able to continue with its lowest fare structure. The airline would be forced to raise prices, which could make passengers less likely to book with them, especially if the extra services are charged at the same rate.

Indeed, at a point, the cost of booking with Austrian could be equal to or less than LCCs with extras taken into consideration. This could be exactly what the Austrian government plans as part of its national airline’s bailout deal.

njko98

Utente Registrato
25 Aprile 2016
Roma
Taking a look at flight prices, on select dates in August, Ryanair flights from Stansted to Vienna (currently operated by Lauda) are available for as little as £16.99 ($21.52). These fares would not be able to continue under the new rules. Ryanair has to pay £13 ($16.47) in tax per passenger leaving the United Kingdom. This leaves just £3.99 ($5.05) left to pay for the crew, fuel, airport fees, and any other taxes that may be charged.
Ma se hanno stabilito che la tassa è solo per i voli sotto i 350km per quale assurdo motivo hanno fatto tutto sto ragionamento inutile? visto che Vienna-Stansted è più di 600km

L'unica tratta da Vienna che potrebbe cadere sotto questa regola è Banja Luka in Bosnia

londonfog

Moderatore
Utente Registrato
8 Luglio 2012
Londra
Tecnicamente vendere biglietti a prezzo inferiore al costo non e' dumping. Lo e' se al costo totale si sottrae una quota per le ancillary revenues e il biglietto viene venduto al di sotto del costo al netto delle ancillary revenue. Nel business model di Ryanair il ricavo dalle vendite dei biglietti e' solo una voce del reddito generato da un volo, dal costo dei bagagli al reddito dalla vendita gratta e vinci, pasti e bevande, duty-free, pentole, tegami e compagnia bella anche quelle sono voci di reddito in quel business model.

Paolo_61

Socio AIAC
Utente Registrato
2 Febbraio 2012
Siamo alla follia. Ed essendo un’idea assurda verrà seguita da tanti, anche dalle nostre parti.

belumosi

Socio AIAC
Utente Registrato
10 Dicembre 2007
Due secoli dopo, assistiamo alla riedizione del Congresso di Vienna, con la restaurazione delle compagnie di bandiera "sovrane".
Questo virus sta portando il tempo indietro di decine di anni, con gli stati chiusi a riccio con i campioncini nazionali, statalizzazioni a raffica, rifiuto del mercato, riduzione della mobilità internazionale, ricerca di una parziale autarchia.
Scelte "di pancia" che faranno ancor più male ad una economia globale già disastrata.

Cesare.Caldi

Utente Registrato
14 Novembre 2005
N/D
Siamo allo statalismo di stile sovietico non si può imporre nessun tipo di prezzo in un libero mercato. Spero che l'antitrust e il commissario alla concorrenza Ue blocchi tutto

antser

Utente Registrato
1 Ottobre 2016
Ferma restando l'ondata di nazionalizzazioni, non mi pare che Ryan si sia mai schifata di mungere la vacca, anzi. Il più pulito c'ha la rogna...

belumosi

Socio AIAC
Utente Registrato
10 Dicembre 2007
Ferma restando l'ondata di nazionalizzazioni, non mi pare che Ryan si sia mai schifata di mungere la vacca, anzi. Il più pulito c'ha la rogna...
FR vende un servizio. Se un aeroporto lo vuole, lo compra, altrimenti no.
Tieni presente che escludendo i microscali, i vari gestori che hanno attinto a man bassa dai voli di MOL hanno visto i bilanci in attivo e in costante miglioramento.
E questo anche tralasciando i vantaggi su occupazione e connettività dei territori.
In sostanza, il giocattolo produce reddito per tutti.
Le compagnie statalizzate invece, stanno chiedendo miliardi fondamentalmente per mantenere le attuali dimensioni e continuare a foraggiare come prima tutte le persone che vi ruotano attorno.
Poi se vuoi ci raccontiamo le barzellette sul servizio pubblico per riportare gli italiani a casa durante le pandemie.

Utente Registrato
26 Aprile 2012
Signori, il prezzo minimo di mercato è = al prezzo delle tasse. Da OMAAT:

Perhaps the most controversial change is that Austria will set a minimum ticket price. The fare of a ticket needs to be at least as much as all of the taxes and fees on a ticket combined. This will essentially mean that tickets need to cost at least 40EUR (~45USD) one-way.
A me non sembra poi chissà che scandalo. Anche a volare a 41 euro non è che OS o altri ci facciano chissà che soldi, eh.

crazy999

Utente Registrato
1 Gennaio 2014
Chi conosce Vienna sa c'è fino a poco tempo fa le low cost avevano vita dura e sfruttavano la dirimpettaia Bratislava per riempire l'Austria di poveri turisti (o turisti poveri).

Al peggio si tornerà a quel periodo