Il thread leggero

Utente Registrato
26 Aprile 2012
8200 ha appena finito un volo intercontinentale abbastanza turbolento. Durante uno dei momenti peggiori, mentre andava in giro per la cabina ad assicurarsi che tutti i passeggeri avessero allacciato le cinture, una signora (una di quelle classiche inglesi che protestano sempre e dicono "surely..." a 1000db) ha ordinato a 8200 di dire ai piloti "to stop shaking the aircraft so much, they might think it's funny but I assure you it is not". Allo sbarco ha fatto sapere che manderà una lettera alla compagnia.

Il meglio del meglio l'ha però avuto quando volava da Gatwick per Barbados. Un passeggero in Club l'ha chiamata per farle sapere che, stando alla mappa nell'IFE, stavano andando nella direzione sbagliata. Anche lui chiede di poter parlare col capitano perchè "I fly this route all the time and believe me this isn't the right way".

vipero

Utente Registrato
8 Ottobre 2007
8200 ha appena finito un volo intercontinentale abbastanza turbolento. Durante uno dei momenti peggiori, mentre andava in giro per la cabina ad assicurarsi che tutti i passeggeri avessero allacciato le cinture, una signora (una di quelle classiche inglesi che protestano sempre e dicono "surely..." a 1000db) ha ordinato a 8200 di dire ai piloti "to stop shaking the aircraft so much, they might think it's funny but I assure you it is not". Allo sbarco ha fatto sapere che manderà una lettera alla compagnia.

Il meglio del meglio l'ha però avuto quando volava da Gatwick per Barbados. Un passeggero in Club l'ha chiamata per farle sapere che, stando alla mappa nell'IFE, stavano andando nella direzione sbagliata. Anche lui chiede di poter parlare col capitano perchè "I fly this route all the time and believe me this isn't the right way".
(Io però ti posso assicurare che qualche volta è stato chiesto: "Oh stanno tutti in piedi. Dai qualche botta de cloche che li famo cintura' " ;)

East End Ave

Utente Registrato
13 Agosto 2013
su e giu' sull'atlantico...

How Do Towbarless Tugs Work?
BYMARK FINLAY
PUBLISHED 2 DAYS AGO
How towbarless tugs work.

Photo: Michael Pereckas via Wikimedia Commons
Often called pushback tugs because they are used to push aircraft away from the gate, these tugs are low-profile tractors. Many modern airliners can move backward using reverse thrust, but the noise, damage to the terminal building, and injuries to staff due to flying debris do not make it worth it. Using reverse thrust also risks sucking unwanted debris into the engines, which may cause damage and increase maintenance.

A conventional tug with a tow-bar. Photo: Jamesshliu via Wikimedia Commons
Before we get into how towbarless tugs work, let's first look at all pushback tugs. While small light aircraft can be moved using human power, modern jet airliners weigh thousands of pounds, meaning you need a heavy, powerful tractor to move the plane. Constructed with a low profile so that they can fit underneath the aircraft, pushback tractors typically weigh up to 54 tons.

Conventional tugs use a tow bar
Conventional pushback tugs use a metal tow-bar connected to the tug and the nose landing gear of the plane. To avoid the landing gear being overstressed when the aircraft is pushed back, the tow bar has a shear pin that will snap and disconnect it from the plane.

Because the pilots cannot see what is behind them, the ground handlers control the pushback and steering. On some aircraft, a bypass pin is installed to temporarily disconnect the nose gear wheels from the aircraft steering mechanism. Once the pushback is complete, the ground handler will hold the pin in the air to show the pilots that it has been removed.

Towbarless tugs slide under the nose wheel and lift
Unlike the tow-bar tractors we mentioned above, towbarless tugs do not use a tow-bar. Rather than connecting themselves to the nose gear they lift the nose landing gear wheels off the ground using hydraulics. Doing this saves all the time involved in attaching the tow bar to the plane and the tractor. It also frees up the ramp by removing the complexity of where to store the tow bars.

Because of how it works, towbarless tractors do not need to be as big as traditional tractors as the aircraft nose wheel provides the necessary weight and downward force. Also, unlike a tug that needs a tow-bar, a towbarless tractor does not, as it has a single pivot point rather than two. This allows for a more straightforward and more precise pushback.

In recent years, more airlines are moving away from diesel-powered tugs and using electric towbarless tugs for aircraft pushback's. Not are electric tugs more environmentally friendly, but they also allow the tugs to be used in indoor spaces like aircraft handers as there are no fumes to worry about.

TaxiBots could be the future

Looking to the future, the Lahav Division of Israel Aerospace Industries has developed a semi-robotic towbarless tug it calls a "TaxiBot." Rather than push the aircraft back from the gate, the TaxiBot transports the plane from the gate to the runway (taxi-out phase). After landing (taxi-in phase), the TaxiBot meets the aircraft as it departs the runway and takes it to the gate. Using a TaxiBot would eliminate the need to burn fuel taxiing to and from the runway, potentially saving airlines billions of dollars. The TaxiBot has a driver who ensures that the planes nose wheel is lifted correctly but after that the pilots in the aircraft control it from the cockpit.

Utente Registrato
26 Aprile 2012
The TSA has complained to U.S. airlines that crewmembers increasingly flout their privilege of enjoying minimal security screenings at U.S. airports by bringing guns and other prohibited items through checkpoints
FREEDUMB!!!!

njko98

Utente Registrato
25 Aprile 2016
Roma
In più di 5 anni che volo mi è successo due volte di aver un problema del genere in cabina, una volta finto e una volta vero... non facile da gestire.

• Wow
Reactions: East End Ave